Ok, so I know I should be writing these brilliant things about whatever I thought I saw today that was cool, or my opinion, but for now, I'm going to use this blog for poems. Would appreciate comments! Second summer poem, was due last week.
Early Bird Special
On the pier before dawn, I saw two old bastards
cleaning their poles with spit, pulling worms out
from jeans lined with golden stitching, toothless
guffawing at another stolen sunrise.
The roundish man with the creamsicle shirt,
helping his boy position his hands correctly
to cast, only so he could reel it in quickly
enough to catch a passing swimmer’s cap
fifteen feet down. The teenagers on the shoreline,
licking their wrists and burning each other with lit
cigarettes, laughing and wailing all at the same time;
they’re doing it to impress the girls nonchalantly basking
in heat. There’s a little chowder place that I can
see, full of locals and tourists alike, slurping
bits of crackers and clams while chugging
types of foreign beer I can’t pronounce.
The saddest person of all is the woman
who paces along where the sand sucks
up your feet, because she cries into her
hands like they were bowls, her face like
alabaster. I wish I could end it all by rolling
her out to sea, waving goodbye as the
riptide pulls her away and the dolphins tow
where she can be alone and not in the
company of the most vile people alive.
Monday, June 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment